Thursday, December 19, 2013

Why I don't tell my child about Santa

I grew up with Santa. My gifts came with tags that said, "To: Katie From: Santa", which was fine, except that my parents also had me write thank you cards to all the relatives that actually sent them. So I never really bought into the whole Santa bit. Whatever. I was a skeptical child from birth.

The whole Santa/Christmas/Jesus thing isn't really my thing either. Santa has a very interesting past, which I find fun to read about, but I don't really care for the whole Americanized version that promotes extravagant materialism. Christmas is a mashup of different beliefs that was Christianized to make it easier to convert pagans to Christianity. (Also, I'm not Christian.) Jesus never said, "Hey, everyone! Let's celebrate my birthday, but not on my actual birthday."

Some people get really fired up that I say these kinds of things. I'm not trying to be an asshole. I just don't care to make myths and stories about things that don't hold much meaning to me a big part of my life. I don't have any problem with other people celebrating them, but telling me I'm doing wrong by my child because I don't make it part of his childhood is wrong. Leif likes that we hang up bells and lights around the house because I like the way they look. I put on holiday music for him sometimes because I get nostalgic. He finds trees in other people's houses interesting. He likes gifts. (Who doesn't?) He has no idea who Santa is, but he is only two. We don't ask him to pray to Jesus. But I'm not scarring his childhood because of these choices. He just has a different childhood than other kids. And that's ok by me.

My kiddo will grow up with two loving parents, relatives and friends who care about him and send gifts, and the knowledge that there are many beliefs around the world. He will have the choice to engage in these beliefs if he chooses, and will find us as parents interested in his findings! We will always push him to explore faith, belief and religions if he chooses. We look forward to finding out what plucks at his heartstrings.

Have a great winter season, everyone. Have a wonderful time enjoying your families and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment