Friday, November 1, 2013

A love letter

(I wrote this yesterday, but got busy and forgot to post. Sorry!)


Dear Adam-

It's 4 years today. We got married under a yellow tree 1461 days ago. Since then, we have moved what feels like a kajillion times, had a baby, changed our careers a few times, and flipped upside down our way of looking at the world. I wanted to tell you that I would not trade the long nights, the times when we had less than nothing, the moments that felt like they would break us in half for anything in the world. Those moments brought us here, to day 1461 and counting. That, my brave heart, is why we are here. Because the days keep marching on. Because we are only given a small time together, and by God, we plan to use up our days together.

I would not have it any other way.

You don't really like poetry. That's ok, I don't really like manga. Somehow we still jive. But I will keep telling you that Billy Collin's poem Litany is how I feel about you. Depending on how you read it, it can be my mood on any kind of day. I need to write my own version of it, honestly. One where you are the sunlight coming through a dark pine forest. Or the smell of a wheat field warmed by the summer heat. Or the plate of eggs and cup of coffee steaming on the table early in the morning. You are all of these wonderful little things to me, all of these perfect moments smushed together into one being. Sure, we have our tough times. But to me, you will always be the bread and the knife, the crystal goblet and somehow, the wine.

Thanks for all these years, love. Can we have some more? I would love that.

To Day One of Year Five! Cheers!

Mush, mush, mush.

No comments:

Post a Comment